Friday, February 25, 2011

Perplexed

A few months ago our old dishwasher made some atrocious sounds and moments later gave up the ghost (or so we thought at the time).  Having never cared for the thing, it came with when we bought the house, we were reluctantly excited about the prospect of choosing a new one.  As with most purchases, we did our share of research and finally decided on this dishwasher:   

It received great reviews, for the most part.  What I found unusual was either it got 5 stars or 1 star- cleaned better than any dishwasher EVER, or didn't clean worth #*&%!!.  A complaint that I saw repeated was that the dishwasher left a "white, powdery residue" on the dishes.  This really made NO sense to me at all.  Sounded like a water or detergent problem to me, or incompetent users.   Nevertheless, we purchased it. 
      Fast forward to lately...  I have been increasingly annoyed because I too, have become a victim of the "white, powdery residue"!!!  My older black plastic utensils have turned grey, sippy cups are covered in it, and I have had to rewash my share of less-than-clean dishes.  So, what gives???
      I will say, I ran out of dish detergent shortly after our new purchase and thought I might try Palmolive's Eco- friendly detergent.  TERRIBLE!  I immediately saw a marked increase in the residue after using this detergent, couldn't even finish using the bottle and that is saying a lot because I am a cheap-skate! I even switched back to the very expensive Cascade with the hopes that would fix it.  Even with that change, nothing.  Jet Dry, nothing, vinegar, nothing... What to do???
     With a little research I found a potential solution:

     Added it to a load last night and, voila!  Mucho better!!!  No more residue on my dishes and I would say about 95% of the residue that was accumulating on the inside of my dishwasher was gone!  I am hoping that I won't have to use Lemi Shine every time; that once the residue is gone my high priced Cascade will go back to doing its job.  I guess we will wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Where do you find this stuff? I've been having the same problem with my dishwasher. Everyone says it is because the new detergents don't have phosphorus in them anymore.. I found one detergent with phosphorus and it made a world of difference. Anyhow, just stopped by to say thanks for your sweet comment on my nightstand! Hopefully my silly mistakes will prevent you from making any should you try that technique! Love your house by the way.. very eclectic! It's great! I lived in upstate NY for awhile and I adore the old stone homes!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.