Friday, March 25, 2011

Restoring our pergola

The weather has been quite wonderful in Oklahoma this week... 70's and I think we even hit some 80's.  Spring has sprung which means my attention immediately gets drawn to the outdoors!  Unfortunately, mostly what I did this week outside was winter clean up.  Not much fun but ever so necessary.  The evenings have been lovely as well.  Great weather for dining alfresco and our house has a great area for that.  Which brings me to today's post.  Below you can see what we did last spring when we restored our semi-rotting pergola to its former glory.  Turned out great!  See for yourself...


Before:  It didn't look terrible but many of the small 1x slats were rotted and the posts were very rough and splintery (I am guessing from power washing and restaining throughout the years.)


Here is an in progress photo.  We removed all the old slats and practiced with the spacing and placement of the new ones.  We bought larger 1x4 slats to add additional shade.  Plus, I wanted to add a little design to them.  We decided on a simple pattern.  We also opted to NOT power wash but to sand the pergola.  This got rid of all the poky splinters and let the natural cedar color shine through.   


Here all the posts are sanded but the top is not.  A great comparison shot.  After this we got really busy and I got distracted... so, no more in progress photos.  Instead we jump to the AFTER.

YAY- AFTER!!!

We also bought a fire pit.

...And added some lights and an outdoor chandelier (thanks Nana).  Here you can also see the slats and the pattern we decided on. 

Just another view.

... and the last view.  As a final step we added a sealer.  Thompson's Waterseal is easy to apply and will protect and preserve the wood.


27 comments:

  1. looks lovely...i especially like the lights and chandy...what a fund place to entertain in the warm summer months...just over from the speckled dog linky.

    blessings,

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - it looks awesome! Makes me really want one in my backyard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have major pergola envy! like, major!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great transformation! Love it all. Want it all in my back yard. Want the nice weather too. I thought Oklahoma was where the wind goes sweepin' down the plain....?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that looks good! Love the lights :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful!!! What a relief I bet now you can relax. Just found your blog. Check me out and follow me if you like my blog I always follow back :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the pergola! We have been talking about putting one in the backyard, but haven't been able to fund it yet. In due time...
    PS- I'm in OK too! Curious what part of the state you're in.? I'm in the OKC metro area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! I just found you via another blog, can't wait to check out more. I'm getting ready to undergo a big decorating project with a new condo (which desperately needs paint and a few other projects...welcome your suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. found you from 320 Sycamore. . and I have to ask where did you get your string lights. . I want some with a black cord. . the ones I have been able to find all have a green cord. Please share where you got those lights. . thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! You guys did an amazing job! Great place to spend a summer afternoon with a cold iced tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous...absolutely gorgeous!!! You guys did a fantastic job and it looks like such a great place to relax and hang out together. I love your red doors in the back too! Thanks so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday this weekend!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks outstanding...I sure could could spend a ton of hours out there:) I have those same lights on my patio and love them. Hop over and enter my current giveaway...it's a goodie.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This is a fabulous space, I can picture spending alot of time out there this summer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow your pergola looks great!! I'm so happy to meet another Oklahoma blogger! Come by for a visit..I'm your newest follower.

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  15. You take on no-joke projects, Lady. The after looks like a magazine picture! Lovely!
    -Camille

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jamie,

    We wanted you to know that your pergola will be one of our features this week on Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence!

    Heather and Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooohhhh....I LOVE it! We are planning to do that this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found you over at The Picket fence I see you have a Boston Terrier I have two Mya and LB glad I found you come over and visit.

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing this last week at Fav Things Friday. I absolutely love it and am green with envy. :-)

    BTW, I featured it this week.

    http://thespeckleddog.blogspot.com/2011/03/favorite-things-friday-no-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my! I just want to sit out here and relax! What a great outdoor area! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that's a nice transformation. Your backyard is just beautiful & looks like the perfect place to hang out. I'm a new follower & would love to have you visit & follow back.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, it looks very gorgeous! There's nothing like putting in a lot hard work and effort, and then sitting back to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Really, the place looks like a perfect spot to relax in, and it's much better with the new improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What lovely pergolas you have here. Incredibly beautiful and versatile, they can be an integral part of almost any garden design, and can even solve many problems landscaping.

    Pergolas Adelaide

    ReplyDelete
  24. It does look like a good place to entertain. Is the weather that good that you can sit without electric fans?

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.