Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Leaving well enough alone... Nah-

A few weeks back I did "A lamp Post" where I upcycled 2 old lamps from Goodwill.  Well, as my title of this post states, I am really not good at.... leaving well enough alone!  Though the lamps turned out fine, something about them just kept begging for a little more love.

First, I guess I should explain that while some women have shoe fetishes, I have furniture fetishes...  sadly however, not just one: lamps, tables, curtains too.  Who am I kidding I love it all.  But, I do notice myself loitering around the lamps, tables, and curtain isles most often.  As has been the case in the weeks following my "Lamp Post."  I kept noticing great lamps, everywhere I looked more great lamps.  So, what was it?  What was I noticing?  Then I realized I was being drawn to their great color or patina.  I also noticed, not one of them was just plain black.  Why then, would I settle for a pair of plain black lamps?

Time to paint!  And time to recap...

You may remember the pair in their original state.
Then the painting began.
I even got your opinions on which shade I should choose.  By the way- I choose the Ross shade (which won by popular vote as well. )

I thought I was done... until I remembered "It is just paint, and time."  Which translates in my mind to "Time to play..."




I thought I might try green, but it was too army like.

I do love this color.  But, it is too solid.  


I took some steel wool and buffed and scuffed the edges; added some extra distressing.
AAhhhh...  Just right!


Here is a close up of the detail.  I love what the layers of color did for he lamps.



 
 

More detail.
 
At home in my room.

16 comments:

  1. What a cute makeover! Love it!!
    I would love it if you joined my linky party @ {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Isn't spray paint fabulous? Just keep painting til you get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Digg'n it! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really, Really nice..... Great transformation!!!
    Thanks for sharing the "How-to"

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is lovely! I am wanting one of these old brass lamps to paint. I am waiting on just the right shape.

    Benita

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! It really did turn out amazing with all those different paint layers. You are so right, it's just paint and time = fun! Thanks so much for linking to STL Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty lamp! You blended in the colors with your room perfectly--I love how the throw pillow picks up the paint color from the lamp too. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the lamps! You did an awesome job on them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks fabulous! Love it!
    Thanks so much for linking up! I'll be featuring this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the color you ended up with! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovin' it! You did a fine job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. Fab lamp!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great lamp makeovers! Love both looks:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the finish. I also liked the before blue. But you did a great job. New follower. Found you on Chic on a Shoestring.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. love how this lamp turned out, love the color and how you showed some of the metal through.
    lauren

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.