Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Let the gardening begin

This year I am going to tackle a garden (again).  We will see how it goes. The last time I attempted this my garden grew GREAT!  Then, the day I went to harvest a large portion of it, I came outside to find squirrels decimating my garden!  The mowed the whole thing down in one morning.  Needless to say, this was a little frustrating and disappointing.  It has taken me some time to recover, but I think I am ready.  So, here we go...

Last summer I built these raised beds from some scrap wood.  But, that was where I stopped.  I spent the next several months evaluating the best location for them.  Our yard does get some good sun but it also gets good shade.  Honestly, the only ideal spot for the garden is smack dab in the middle of where the pool is.  Since that isn't happening, this spot became our second best option.

Fast forward to this past weekend.  Here I am finally removing the grass from the beds.

One down.

One to go...

Here they are almost finished.

Last year my mom also helped me to build a compost bin.  This wheel barrel is me reaping the rewards of the compost bin.  It is full of my very own, fully organic compost.  YEA!!!

I tilled in the compost to bulk up the beds and to add a little kick to the soil.  I even bought 2 German Johnson tomato plants.  But, I have more to do.  I am going to build some trellis's and obviously buy more plants and some seeds.  I will take photos periodically and let you know how it goes.  Stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. So good to see this post! I'm so sorry the squirrels ate your last garden - I love the little animals but that might drive me to mow them down! We're starting our raised garden beds too. We have the frames built and are pulling up some shrubs to make a nice area for them. I'll be watching your progress. Following now!! JenT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning some raised garden beds this summer too...so excited to have an actual garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a really good job, and doing it the right way. Can't you just taste those homegrown tomatoes? How are you going to keep the squirrels out? Since they will climb and jump over any barrier, you might need some kind of natural deterrent, like pepper spray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I'm wishing you a bountiful harvest and that the little squirrels find a meal somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! We just harvested our first tomatoes last night from our raised bed. Keep it up, gardening is a learned process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the post I needed to read, we have some scrap wood, and I have been wanting to make a small veggie garden in our yard...thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same thing happened to me...only grubs. Much harder to get rid of. Good luck! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Squirrels are cute creatures, but can they definitely wreak havoc. Hubby and I watch, every single year, as they help themselves unreservedly to the fruit on the trees in our little orchard. I wish you great success with your garden this year, Jaime. Maybe the squirrels will hassle someone else this time. ;)

    Thanks for linking to the party.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.