Monday, April 4, 2011

Waking up some tired, old nightstands.

I found these old nightstands at a garage sale recently.  They were in kind of rough shape.  But with a little TLC they shaped up quite nicely.

BEFORE:
I am all for the vintage, aged look... but this was a little more than I like.

This one looked like it had been gnawed on by something.
So, I scraped off the rough edges and then sanded them also.  Not heavily, just where it was needed.  Then I primed them with some spray primer.


You can see I didn't go to too much trouble to conceal the chipping paint.  This was an experiment for me.  I have never left big chips like this, but I was curious to see what would happen if I did.

I then started to paint.  I dry brushed them with some zero VOC paint.  I know, a little silly since I did use spray paint to prime them.

The one onthe right has a little additional distressing, the one on the left had just gotten done being painted and had yet to be distressed.  It is a subtle difference, but one that I like.

Here you can see the comparison up close.

As a final touch I lined the drawers with vintage sheet music.


And fini...




AFTER:  I love the coast-y, cottage-y feel.
 
Here is the cost breakdown:
Nightstands: $15.00 for the pair
Primer:  $2.00
Paint:  Free (leftovers)
Total:  $17.00
Time:  1 day


17 comments:

  1. Love this project! Terrific transformation! I love the color and lining them with sheet music is the perfect touch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great transformation! A job well done! Treasures! yvette@twistedvines

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these alot they give a nod to the rolled top desk look. I'm happy to be your newest follower. Please stop by my blog for book club if you're interested--connie, measuredbytheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on these. They have beautiful lines and you made them look amazing. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are so pretty. great job.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Love the color and the distressing. I've seen two nightstands made into a desk with glass between them; that's what these reminded me of. They turned out great--Thanks for linking to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet pair! Nice little storage for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They turned out great...love the addition of the sheet music...very clever :) Laurel@chippingwithcharm

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the style of these. The color is great! Loving this transformation! Visiting from Very Merry Vintage Style.
    Roselle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! Painting over already chippy paint can really add some nice texture to a piece. It's truly something dependent on the tastes of the individual though. I, for one happen to like your project a great deal.

    I'm visiting from Inspiration Friday.

    Blessings,
    Shanna
    www.revampedfrenchmaison.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been featured on SSB! Please see the link below:

    http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2011/04/mad-skills-monday-51.html

    I hope you'll visit again!!
    xoxo
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just love these--you are featured in tonight's post from last week's link party! Hope you come join the party again!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. they turned out great! i love the layered colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jaime~

    So happy to have stumbled upon your blog, the name is very clever. We live in Enid. Love the nightstand tranformations, so shabby chic!! Happy to be a new follower. :)

    Drop By The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.