Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Working on it... Part 2: Finished

 A few days back I mentioned that I was working on something and gave you a few photo hints as to what it was.  Well,  I finished.


Let's start with some before photos:
I found a pair of sconces at Goodwill.  For $4.50 ea. and saw a lot of potential.
A can of leftover spray paint began to work its magic.
I even painted the cords black.  I wasn't sure how that would go, but turned out fine and is much better than the yellow-gold cords they came with.
I liked the detail of the key switch.
Also, you can tell I needed to apply a few coats of paint.  Here the gold still shows through.
AFTER:
Our guest room with my new thrifted sconces.
$4.50 ea. + $6.98 for ea shade.  =
roughly $11.50 ea.
PB sconces:  $139.00 ea.
My thrifted sconce close up.
PB sconce close up.

Now, I know my room and my sconces don't actually hold a candle to the PB versions... but, for hundreds, perhaps thousands of dollars less (for the entire room)... I think I can settle!




15 comments:

  1. Love these!! I have been looking for wall sconces, but they are so expensive- I would pounce on some if I ever saw them at Goodwill! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them! I actually like yours better than the PB sconces. I'll be on high alert to find some at upcoming, local town, yard sale days. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love copycat diy projects! I did a lamp makeover this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love a great PB knock-off... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is even better than the original... and you don't have an empty wallet!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like yours WAY better than the original. I'm a PB lifer, but yours is much more traditional looking. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Love what a little spray paint will do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow--they look great! What a fabulous deal and I love that you painted the cords too! I appreciate you linking up to my Share the Love Link Party!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothin' wrong with that! Great work! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have similar lamps just sitting in my attic! Can't wait to get them out and paint. Just need to decide which room to put them in. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Jaime. No need to compare your lovelies to Pottery Barn's - in a negative light. lol Anyone can shell out mega bucks and get the right look. It takes talent and creativity to "get it" on the cheap. And you did it! The lamps are terrific and the room looks wonderful.

    Thanks for linking to the party. I only wish I could find a pair of wall lamps like that for my guest bedroom. ;)

    Have a great weekend!
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award! Check out your feature below:

    http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2011/04/ive-won-versitile-blogger-award-again.html

    Congrats!
    xoxo
    Ginger
    SSB

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.