Monday, June 13, 2011

Not your mama's hutch

Several weeks back, after a morning of garage sale-ing, I showed up to our house with a truckload of furniture.  This was the last gathering of items before my Furniture Revival Sale.  And while I was fairly pleased with most of my purchases, as my husband and I unloaded this behemoth of an old 70's hutch, I said to him "This just might be the first item I regret buying."  It was U-G-L-Y!  It came in 2 pieces that when assembled was more than 6 ft. tall.  Next to my 5'2 frame it was a monster and did I mention U-G-L-Y?!?  We kept it in the garage as 2 separate pieces.  It was easier for me to work on them that way.  It didn't take long for thrifty me to decide this was the way they were meant to stay, separate.  I worked on the base and it turned out much better than expected.  Here is a pre-sale photo of the base:

The funny thing about this piece is I actually had several people come to the sale because of it specifically.
 It was also one of the first items to sell!
 But, I still had the top.  From very early on I had dreams of taking out the 70's style glass and adding chicken wire.  I also needed to add legs.  I had 2 laying around from another job I had done a while back.  So, one day I got brave and started deconstructing and reconstructing.  I did just what I planned.  I added the chicken wire and cut the 2 legs I had in half to make 4, prepped and painted the sucker and voila!

Had to add just a hint of distressing to the edges.


Close up of the addition of the chicken wire.  

Since taking this photo the top has been embellished a little further.  I will have to snap a more recent pict. and post it soon. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi! The addition of chicken wire just makes the whole thing work so much better. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job! It's definitely not U-G-L-Y anymore.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaime, what a fantastic piece I like the chicken wire it really completes the project. I also like the green vases and the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work! I love how this turned out!
    Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    Hope to see you again this weekend!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicken wire + white paint + magic hand = WOW WOW WOW......

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.