Thursday, June 9, 2011

One for the team...

It has been a while since I have taken one for the team.  Completed a project for the team may be a better more accurate way of saying it.  I have been so consumed with redoing stuff to sell that I have not done a piece just for us- just because I wanted to.  But, this week I finally did! 

This was one of the very first pieces of real furniture that Chad and I ever bought!  We have drug the poor thing all over the country with our myriad of moves.  In the process it has gotten its' share of bumps and bruises.  But, it is still a great, SOLID table!  Unfortunately, in my opinion it has never really worked in our current house.  The shape is either too big, to tall, or even too small  (it expands and collapses to accommodate) depending on the room.  After nearly 8 years, I finally had enough and made some modifications.  Here are some photos:

BEFORE:  Here is the table in our old NY house. 
Notice it and the chairs are all counter height and one color. 

AFTER:  Well, I cut down the table and all 6 chairs to normal dining height, painted the lower portion my own Robin's Egg Blue (a mix of left over paint ala' Jaime), and then gently distressed it. 
The taller version just overwhelmed this space, in height and color.  And this table never worked great in our dining room because of the square shape.  So, I flip flopped the 2 tables and modified this one to work in our kitchen. 



I do like it loads better!!!  But, I am still not sure if I am done.  The chairs may be the next to get a make over. 
Any suggestions? 

Love the ever so slight detail on the leg.  The paint and distressing really brings it out!




8 comments:

  1. Great idea. I love the contrasting table legs. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is darling! I have the exact same table and I've been trying to come up with ways to vamp it up!! This is giving me great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful~ love how you prettied it up- it's so charming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jamie, your dining room looks so fresh and bright -- especially with the table redone! I wanted to tell you too that my copy of TOH arrived yesterday and I enjoyed reading about your stair runner project. Wonder why they don't include people's blog addresses?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you've done with the table - awesome! Do you think you'll do the chairs in the blue? Either way I think would be nice, or perhaps you have an even better idea. It was brave but right to cut down the pieces to fit your current living space. Thanks so much for sharing, and I "followed" your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great way to make the table work better for your home. I love the light aqua base with the distressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fantastic Jaime! You did a great job and the robin's egg blue was the perfect choice. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I've been searching forever for someone who has shortened their counter height table and chairs. We bought our counter height set only a year ago but quickly learned it doesn't really work for us and would prefer a normal height. Do you have any details on how you shortened it? I would love to do ours but I'm scared to get it wrong! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.